Have you heard of the southern tradition to “Bury the Bourbon”? As the saying goes:
“Bury a bottle of bourbon a month to the day to keep the rain away.”
You take a bottle of bourbon, and bury it at your venue a month before your wedding. Make sure to receive permission from your wedding venue first! The bottle must be buried one month to the day, full, and upside down. Then, on the day of your ceremony, you and your new partner dig up the bottle together as a part of the celebration. The freshly dug-up lucky bourbon is then incorporated into your party, either as a toast or shots with the wedding party.
So, how do you incorporate this tradition into your wedding festivities? Here are the rules and grab a shovel!:
- The bottle needs to be completely full.
- It needs to be real Bourbon (your call on what brand).
- You and your partner need to bury it together.
- It needs to be buried upside down.
- It has to be buried exactly one month before the wedding– and preferably on a day of good weather.
A special treat is to hire out an engraver to personalize the bottle with your wedding date and names! Then you can enjoy the bottle for many celebrations to come if it isn’t finished off on the day of your wedding.
Leave a Reply